Egg Farmers of Canada invited me to an evening celebrating local eating. While food trends may come and go, eggs are always in style and in season. And, to celebrate the bounty of Canadian produce, Egg Farmers of Canada’s Chef Ambassadors have come together to create a sophisticated menu pairing eggs with regional ingredients from across the country. Chef Trevor Bird put together an Soy Stained Devilled Eggs and Dungeness Crab and it was amazing. Best devilled egg I’ve ever had. The success of this recipe also depends on what kind of eggs you use, I personally love Born 3 Eggs or Country Golden Yolk Free Range Eggs.
Soy Stained Devilled Eggs and Dungeness Crab
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Soy Stained Eggs:
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) soy sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Sriracha sauce
- Boil water; place eggs in water and cook for 12 minutes. Remove and chill in ice bath.
- Peel eggs. Place eggs in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and Sriracha sauce and let sit in refrigerator for 2 days. Remove and cut in half.
Dungeness Crab Filling:
- 4 egg yolks (removed from soy stained eggs)
- 4 green onions, grilled and sliced plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 squeeze lime juice
- 4 tsp (20mL) crab, picked
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix all ingredients together and fill in the stained egg halves.
- Top with a slice of grilled green onion.