My two favourite vegetables are corn and tomatoes. The great debate – are tomatoes really a vegetable? It has seeds so its a fruit. I don’t really care. They taste good and I could eat them all day long. As a snack, in a taco, or in a salad. I wanted to make Corn and Tomato Salad.
I wanted to make a quick salad with a few common ingredients around the kitchen. I don’t like making complicated items for dinner. Nobody has time for that especially when you get off work around 5 and have to scramble to get dinner on the table.
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cobbs of corn
- 2 cups of grape tomatoes, halved
- Fresh mozzarella
- 3 teaspoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- Boil Corn Cobs in a pot of water until it is tender. Should take about 5 minutes.
- Slice off the corn kernels from the cobb into a large bowl.
- Mix in the sliced tomatoes, green onions, mozzarella bits and basil into the same large bowl.
- Pour the vinaigrette into the large bowl.
- Toss ingredients together.
This only took about 15 minutes to prepare. The longest part is really just waiting for the corn to cook. Alternatively, you could use canned corn niblets to make this in a few minutes.
Serve it with anything you like. We made crab cakes to accompany the Corn and Tomato Salad.