Did you know, British Columbia is one of the world’s major mining regions. Our province encompasses the largest part of the Canadian Cordillera, a mountain belt rich in minerals and
Did you know, British Columbia is one of the world’s major mining regions. Our province encompasses the largest part of the Canadian Cordillera, a mountain belt rich in minerals and coal. British Columbia is an important producer and exporter of copper, gold, silver, lead, zinc, molybdenum, coal and industrial minerals.
The Association for Mineral Exploration (AME) presents Discovery Day, a free family-friendly event on Sunday, January 21, 2018 designed to educate everyone about the mineral exploration industry and build awareness for the importance of minerals and metals in our everyday lives.
Many people don’t realize that the products we use everyday, like lights, iPhones, cosmetics, and medical equipment, would not exist without the minerals and precious metals found in our province. Mineral exploration also leads to the discovery of metals like copper, which are integral to the production of solar panels and other clean energy technologies.
Discovery Day highlights include:
- Gold panning with Yukon Dan: Professional gold panner Yukon Dan will be drawing for a sought-after private gold panning session for a family of five where he will teach the art of competitive gold panning
- “Stump a Geologist”: Bring your favourite rock and one of our geologists will help identify what it is and where it came from.
- Everything you need to know about Ice Age Fossils at the Yukon Government’s Ice Age Fossil Display.
- An exploration camp set-up, including a tent and work area.
- An informative display from Britannia Mine Museum, an award winning national historic site.
Don’t forget to enter the Instagram contest to win a family pass to the Britannia Mine Museum while you are at AME’s Discovery Day and Roundup. Follow @bcminex , share a photo of the event on your Instagram, tag @bcminex and use the hashtag #AMERoundup2018.
(Sunday) 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Vancouver Convention Centre West
1055 Canada Place, Vancouver, B.C.