Trying to figure out what to make for a Summer party is challenging, but President’s Choice is making it easier with a few recipes that will impress your friends and family. They have launched their newest PC Insiders Collection with a few key items that can elevate your party spread. Here are 4 recipes that are quick to put together – Vegetarian Eggplant Brioche Muffulettas, Triple Creamy Onion Dip, Garlic Herb Shrimp and Pesto Crostini, and Maple Chia Fresca.
Vegetarian Eggplant Brioche Muffulettas
Thin layers of tender grilled eggplant and zucchini stand in for the cold cuts traditionally found in this classic New Orleans sandwich. The trick to making the perfect muffuletta is letting the sandwich rest after it’s assembled – this gives the bread a chance to soak up the juices from the olive spread.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 6 minutes
Ready in: 30 minutes
- 2 zucchini, halved crosswise and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick strips
- 1 Italian (purple) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 batch Green Olive Spread (see recipe, below)
- 1 pkg (300 g) PC Brioche Buns (6 buns), split
- 6 slices PC Sliced Provolone Cheese
- 6 PC Black Label Grilled and Marinated Artichoke halves, sliced
- 6 PC Whole Sweet Red Peppers, halved
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush both sides of zucchini and eggplant with oil and sprinkle with hot pepper flakes and salt, dividing evenly. Working in batches if necessary, grill, turning occasionally, until tender and grill-marked, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to large plate; let cool.
- Spread Green Olive Spread over cut sides of buns, dividing evenly. Layer cheese, zucchini, eggplant, artichokes and red peppers over bun bottoms, dividing evenly. Sandwich with bun tops. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
Chef’s Tip: To serve these sandwiches warm, refrigerate for 2 hours as directed, then remove the plastic wrap and press in a panini press until golden and warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Creamy Triple Onion Dip
All parties need a good dip. Whether is be with a plate of fresh veggies, chips or crackers. Spend a little bit of time to create a homemade dip instead of purchasing something generic in stores.
Makes: about 1-¼ cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Ready in: 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain spreadable cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) grated PC Splendido Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh chives
- 4 tsp (20 mL) PC Caramelized Onion Topping 6
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and black pepper
- Whisk cream cheese with sour cream in small bowl until smooth.
- Stir in shallot, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 tbsp chives, 1 tbsp onion topping, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish. Dollop remaining 1 tsp onion topping over top; swirl into cream cheese mixture using toothpick or tip of knife. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp chives.
Chef’s Tip: The cream cheese is easier to mix when it’s softened, so take it out of the fridge 20 to 30 minutes before making the dip to bring it to room temperature.
Garlic Herb Shrimp and Pesto Crostini
These grilled crostini are ideal for backyard summer hangouts. You can prep the tomatoes and grill the baguette ahead of time, then toss the shrimp on the grill once everyone is ready to start snacking.
Makes: 12 to 15 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) PC Axiany Cherry Tomatoes (about half 255 g pkg), chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, plus additional for oiling grill
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh basil
- Pinch (0.5 mL) salt
- Half baguette, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch/5 mm thick rounds (12 to 15 slices)
- 1 pkg (340 g) frozen PC Garlic & Herb Grilling Raw Butterflied Shrimp
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) PC Pesto
- Stir together tomatoes, 1 tbsp oil, basil and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Brush both sides of baguette slices with remaining 1 tbsp oil, dividing evenly. Arrange in single layer on grill. Cook, turning once, until grill-marked, about 4 minutes. Transfer to large plate. Set aside.
- Brush grill with oil. Arrange frozen shrimp, shell side down, in single layer on grill. Close lid and cook over medium heat, turning halfway through cooking time, until opaque throughout and shells are pink, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to separate large plate; remove and discard shells.
- Spread pesto over top of baguette, dividing evenly. Top with shrimp and tomato mixture, dividing evenly.
Chef’s Tip: No barbecue? Arrange baguette slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and drizzle with oil; bake in 400°F (200°C) oven, flipping baguette once, until crispy and light golden, about 6 minutes. Set aside. Arrange shrimp, shell side down, in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake in 450°F (230°C) oven until opaque throughout and shells are pink, 10 to 12 minutes.
Maple Chia Fresca
Need a unique refreshing drink to go with your party? Try this Maple Chia Fresca which is non-alcoholic. Chia seeds develop a gelatinous coating when soaked, giving this speckled mocktail a unique yet satisfying texture. Give the drink a good shake before serving.
Makes: 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
- 2 cups (500 mL) PC Organics Maple Water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) PC Organics Black Chia Seed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) PC Organics 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Combine maple water and chia seeds in 2-cup (500 mL) jar with tight-fitting lid. Cover and shake to combine. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Add lemon juice and maple syrup; cover and shake to combine. Divide among serving glasses. Garnish with mint sprigs (if using).
Tip: Try lime juice instead of lemon juice and adjust the sweetness by adding more or less maple syrup.
Don’t forget the dessert
For the hot Summer weather, don’t forget the dessert. I really loved the PC SKYR Lactose-free Superfruit yogurt bar and the PC Rocky Road Scoop Shop Bar.
Check out the newest items in the PC Insiders Collection as it’s easy on the wallet and tastes great. For more recipes check out presidentschoice.ca.